Beetroot is a powerful addition to your health. It’s vibrant colour should be enough to give you a clue to all it’s health benefits. It is great for detoxing, as it has a number of nutrients which help to support the liver. It can be eaten roasted, with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar, as it comes out of the oven, to bring out it’s natural sweetness. Don’t be scared to eat it raw too though, it is gorgeous grated together with carrot or even raw butternut, with a vinaigrette over it.
Here is a gorgeous recipe from Lee Potgieter of Yours By Nature:
Raw Grated butternut and beetroot salad with orange vinaigrette
- 1 cup grated raw butternut
- 1 cup grated raw beetroot
- Handful of sunflower seeds
In a salad bowl, combine beetroot and butternut and mix through to disperse colours. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- 1 -2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (either freshly squeezed or the Spar 100% range)
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Drizzle of honey / little Stevia
Place dressing ingredients in shaker and shake until well combined. Drizzle over salad and serve.Salad can be served in a ‘cabbage-leaf cup’ or as a side dish.